Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Sketching: A Poem

Greetings!
First let me explain the two above photos. The one of the bride was a picture I took in New Orleans over Spring break. This bride was getting her shots done on the steps of the art museum there. It was a striking scene, and I felt I had to capture it. I may also be drawing her soon, but I am not 100% sure as of yet. The other picture is my very first charcoal work. I am not very good with people, but I am determined to be great so I need to practice. She is more cartoon than I would like, so when I draw people I am trying to develop the skill to draw them life like. My style does have a bit of a cartoonish feel to it, and that is something that kind of bothers me. I really want to be able to draw realistically, but I am coming to terms with the fact that different people have different styles.
Now, I am sorry I haven’t updated in the last couple of days. I have school during the week, so it’s hard to balance school, art classes, Tae Kwon Do, and still being able to hang out with friends. However, the weekend usually provides more time for me to just relax and create.
I am really happy about getting two more comments on the blog with my first ballet girl! Thank you very much for your feedback, as it is what keeps a blog like mine really going.
Hm, today in English we were assigned to write a poem that we would enter into a school wide contest. There are no real prizes, but the knowledge of being a better poet than the rest is very thrilling. So I am going to post the poem that I wrote and hopefully you will give me honest feed back on it!

We had to do it in a (I believe its called acrostic?) form and I chose "Sketching."

Here it goes:

Scribbling hastily, my pen does make form
Kittens too trite, my pen refusing to draw
Even as I plead and beg, iron pen doth protest
The struggle begins, my brow damp with frustration
Chillingly it runs through my veins
Hacking at my will and my love for the art
Imagine if you will, a painter hating the brush, a nun hating the Bible, a judge- the law, a
Great cry erupts from my lips, and looking down, great art from my pen


What do you think? I kind of liked it. It shows that art doesn’t exactly come really easily. It’s a struggle some times and it takes a true artist to stick to it and conquer the difficult task. Interpret how you will, but that’s what it means to me.

Well, I guess I better get back to cleaning my room. But I hope you have a wonderful day or night. Depending upon time and location, of course. :]

Yours,
Dauphine Poole

1 comment:

Matthew Smith said...

great attempt! keep up the dedication...trust me...it pays off in the end. good luck!